Manufacturing Engineer, Level 2
|Location:||Union City, CA|
|Benefits:||Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, LTD, 401-K, potential for bonus.|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||30300 Mfg Engineering|
Requires BSME & 2-5 YOE OR MSME & > 1 YOE
Local Candidates Preferred. No relocation available.
Since 1977 Mizuho OSI has been enhancing patient outcomes as the industry leader in the design and manufacture of Specialty Orthopedic Surgical tables and patient positioning devices. Mizuho engineers, working with leading Orthopedic Surgeons, continuously develop new surgical techniques to drive the market. Our company has a strong market share, is financially stable; and performed well and beyond expectations in 2011.
Design and develop manufacturing processes for new products, product changes, and enhancements. Facilitate the supply, manufacture, assembly, and test activities toward reduced waste and lower cost targets. Coordinate decision making for in-house manufacture or outside supply. Contribute to the intellectual property position of the company via invention and patent application. Work with product development staff to ensure that new products are manufacturable and achieve cost targets. Provide support for the resolution of product complaints and/or safety issues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Understand, support and follow the Corporate Vision, Mission & Values Statements.
- Support company goals and objectives.
- Understand, follow and support Mizuho OSI's internal Quality System policies, procedures and instructions including but not limited to applicable external regulations (21 Code of Federal Regulations Part 820 Quality System Regulations and applicable International Standards).
- Maintain a continuing liaison relationship with engineering and marketing functions to ensure readiness to meet commitments of new business and to ensure that production rates and product designs provide effective utilization of available manufacturing resources.
- Configure assembly processes, sequence of activities, and material handling toward lean manufacturing company goals. Plan and schedule projects in a manner consistent with corporate objectives.
- Identify and qualify outside vendors and consultants as required. Maintain current knowledge of competitive technologies including medical, technical, manufacturing, and materials developments as related to company products.
- Conduct testing utilizing existing test protocols or create new ones as needed to ensure process capability.
- Maintain complete, accurate, and timely manufacturing documentation including assembly procedures, testing methods, packaging and labeling instructions, BOM, and other as required.
- Oversee the detail manufacturing planning for each part and assembly. Specify BOM structure, methods, sequence of operations, shop routing, time standards, and tooling as required.
- Continually reduce product cost through design, process, procedure, and method improvement.
- Participate in material review board activities to review and disposition non-conforming materials and assemblies.
- Participate in company safety committee and environmental programs as required.
- Provides sustaining engineering support to production.
- Perform failure analysis and implement corrective action to improve production and quality.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Some of the duties of this job are performed while sitting at a desk operating a computer, reading, writing and using a telephone.
The employee is required to use hands to manipulate parts and hand tools. The employee is required to stand, bend and stoop, walk and occasionally to lift up to 50 pounds during the normal course of work. Occasionally may use equipment in an electrical laboratory environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job duties are performed in an office environment, assembly floor, and at suppliers. Job duties are performed in an office environment utilizing standard office equipment such as a computer, photocopier, and telephone. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Within the Assembly/Production floor the employee may be exposed to sharp objects, small tools, hot objects, adhesives, UV light, various testing equipment, isopropyl alcohol, soldering equipment, hi-pot testers and other electrical test equipment, etc. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - The qualifications below are the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to do this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of manufacturing processes and materials.
- Ability to work independently or lead team working on specific engineering projects.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills are required
- Goal driven independent thinker, equally capable as an individual contributor or project team leader.
- Must possess the drive to get the job done in the face of unknowns and a willingness to jump in whenever needed.
- Ability to work with a professional and positive attitude to improve processes and is data driven.
- Familiar with a 3D solid modeling package, preferably Solid Edge, Solid Works, and AutoCad software. Adept use of Excel, MS project, Word and occasionally MathCad.
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing concepts.
Professional Level: Intermediate
Advancing Technology: Initiates and completes technical activities leading to new or improved products or processes which have a significant impact at a program level. Prepares technical reports or articles for publication, and gives presentations to peers in own and other departments.
Problem Complexity: Analyzes and solves moderately complex or defined problems using conventional types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures, or equipment.
Knowledge - Technical: Has a working knowledge of engineering principles, theories, concepts, practices, and techniques.
Knowledge - Business: Incorporates business policies, procedures into task completion. Develops a general understanding of internal functions and industry activities and technologies.
Leadership: Cultivates internal network and begins developing external network of resources to complete tasks. Serves as a resource in the selection, orientation, and training of new engineers. Demonstrates initiative by participating in project planning process.
Decision-Making: Exercises authority and judgment within defined limits to determine appropriate action. Failure to achieve results, or erroneous decisions or recommendations may cause delays in program schedules and result in the allocation of additional resources.
Communication: Interacts primarily with team or department members and other internal groups involved in the completion of technical activities. May contact external or customer representatives on routine matters. Represents the unit in providing solutions to problems of moderate complexity associated with specific projects.
Supervision: Works under general direction. Receives limited supervision on standard problems, and detailed instructions on new assignments. Work is reviewed for soundness of judgment and overall adequacy and accuracy.
Minimum Qualifications (typical): Bachelor's Degree & 2-5 YOE OR Master's Degree & < 1 YOE
At Mizuho OSI, we believe better solutions and decisions are born of diversity and are proudly an EEO/AA employer. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k with matching, educational assistance and more.
For Our Service Members and Veterans
Mizuho OSI values the service Veterans and their family members have given to our country and we support the hiring of returning Service Members and military spouses. If you are a Veteran or wounded warrior and would like assistance with the employment process at Mizuho OSI, please contact Ron Katz, PHR at (510) 429-1500 x202.
For Persons with Disabilities
If you are a person with a disability or a disabled Veteran and are applying for a job with Mizuho OSI, we would like to ensure your application process goes as smoothly as possible. If you need additional assistance, information or answers to your questions, feel free to contact Ron Katz, PHR at(510) 429-1500 x202.
Mizuho OSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mizuho OSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes business decisions based on job related criteria only. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, sexual identity, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.